- 12 ounces penne whole wheat pasta, or similar shape
- 12 ounces skinless chicken breasts, cut in ¾-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 red or green bell pepper, cut in ¾-inch pieces
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas, slightly thawed
- 16-ounce jar Alfredo pasta sauce
- 2 tomatoes, cut in wedges
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Cook pasta according to package; drain.
In medium saucepan on medium-high heat, brown chicken in 1 tablespoon oil until no longer pink in middle. Remove chicken from pan and set aside, leaving remaining oil in pan.
Add bell pepper, sauté 2 minutes; add onion and garlic, sauté until onion is clear, about 2 minutes; add to chicken.
Add 1 tablespoon oil to saucepan and sauté mushrooms until just wilted. Return chicken and vegetables to pan.
Add peas and pasta sauce. Bring to a boil.
Add tomatoes and heat 1 minute. Serve with Parmesan cheese.