- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups fat free half-and-half
- 12 ounces fresh broccoli florets
- 5 ounces fresh shredded carrots
- 8 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 (14 ounces, 2 count) packages of sourdough bread bowls
Melt butter in a large stock pot. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes.
Whisk in flour and cook for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
Slowly whisk in the chicken broth and half-and-half. Simmer on medium-low for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the broccoli and carrots; simmer on medium-low for another 25 minutes until the broccoli and carrots are tender. Stir in the cheese until melted.
Cut away a large hole in each bread bowl and fill with soup to serve.
Check out this similar Cheesy Broccoli & Rice Casserole!