- 1 (13.25 ounce) box whole-wheat penne (or other shape) pasta
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped or 1 pound grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ pound fresh low-fat, Mozzarella cheese, in ½” cubes or fresh Mozzarella “pearls”
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh sweet basil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt (optional)
Cook pasta according to package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain. Add tomatoes, cheese and sweet basil.
In a separate small bowl, combine oil, seasoning, vinegar and salt (if using). Add to pasta mixture and chill.
One serving provides approximately: 266 Calories, 9 g Protein, 31 g Carbohydrates, 4 g Fiber, 12 g Fat (4 g saturated), 18 mg Cholesterol, 1 mcg Folate, 1 mg Iron, 22 mg Sodium.
Love pasta? Try our Chicken Enchilada Mac & Cheese. Want to learn more about the wheat that you eat? Check out Justin Knopf’s Family Farm Story!