- 1 cup whole white wheat flour
- ½ cup multi-grain hot cereal [Hodgson Mill Multi-grain cereal OR make ½ c. oat/flax/corn meal (multi-grain) mixture]
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup apples, peeled, chopped (no need to peel if thin-skinned)
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chopped pecans (optional)
Preheat oven 400°F. Paper line or grease 2 ½-inch medium muffin cups.
Wash and shred carrots and apples.
In a medium mixing bowl measure flours, hot cereal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon (if desired). Whisk to blend thoroughly.
In small bowl, measure and whisk together the milk, oil, eggs and vanilla.
With a spoon mix the liquid mixture, shredded carrots and apples and nuts into the dry mixture just until blended.
Use a 1/3 cup scoop to portion batter evenly into the 12 paper-lined or greased muffin cups. Bake 20 to 22 minutes until golden brown and 200°F at center.
Cool on wire rack. Serve warm or they’re even better the next day!
Download and print your own Bake & Take Month Labels