- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 ½ cups cooked chicken, diced or shredded
- 1 bag (12 ounces) frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 box refrigerated pie crust, room temperature
Preheat oven to 425°F.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and sauté onion over medium heat.
Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Cook this mixture about 1-2 minutes.
Add milk and chicken broth. Whisk until smooth and cook until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in chicken and vegetables.
Unroll one pie crust and fit into the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate. Transfer chicken mixture to pie plate.
Unroll second pie crust and fit over chicken mixture. Crimp edges as desired and cut a few small slits in the top crust for steam to escape.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, covering edges with foil or pie saver if necessary to prevent overbrowning.