- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa powder
- 1 cup cold water
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup whole milk + 1 teaspoon white vinegar (sour milk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, slightly beaten
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- ½ pound (1 ¼ cups) confectioners' sugar, sifted
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, optional
Preheat the oven to 400oF.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour and sugar.
In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil baking cocoa, cold water, butter and oil. Pour over the dry ingredients while hot. Mix well.
Add sour milk, baking soda and eggs. Mix well.
Pour into a greased sheet cake pan and bake for 12 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
While the cake bakes, prepare the frosting. Beat together with an electric mixer the butter, baking cocoa, milk and confectioners’ sugar until smooth and creamy.
Spread frosting over hot cake. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, if desired.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 SLICE, 67g): 230 calories, 100 calories from fat, 11g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 30mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium, 32g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 23g sugars, 2g protein, 21mcg folate, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron.
You might also enjoy this similar version with cinnamon and whole wheat flour: Whole Wheat Chocolate Sheet Cake