- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup white sorghum flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk or whole milk
- 1 tablespoon corn or soybean oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Butter, maple syrup, jelly or fresh fruit
1. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients.
3. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients all at once. Whisk just until blended and still a little lumpy.
4. Heat lightly greased skillet or griddle on medium-low heat. Spray metal (not plastic) cookie cutters with nonstick cooking spray and place in skillet or griddle with thicker rim of cutter down, pressing firmly against bottom of skillet or griddle to avoid leakage. Fill cookie cutter almost half full with pancake batter.
5. Cook until pancake has a bubbly surface; remove cookie cutter. (Using small tongs is helpful.) Flip pancake; cook through then remove pancake from skillet or griddle.
6. Serve with butter, maple syrup, jelly or fresh fruit.
Per Serving (2-inch pancake, 58g): 50 calories, 10 calories from fat, 1g total fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate,1g dietary fiber, 3g sugar, 2g protein, 0mg vitamin C, 19mg calcium, 1mg iron.