- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup dark beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 8 ounces corned beef, thinly sliced
- 2 cups shredded Jarlsberg cheese
- 8 slices (8 ounces) marble rye bread
- Unsalted, softened butter for grilling sandwiches
In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and sprinkle with sugar and black pepper. Cook until soft and golden, stirring occasionally, about 10-15 minutes.
Add beer and continue cooking about 8-10 more minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Gently mix in the corned beef slices.
Heat a griddle or another large skillet over medium heat.
Butter one side of all 8 slices bread. Place 4 slices, butter side down, on the hot griddle.
Layer the 4 slices of bread with cheese, corned beef and onion mixture, and additional cheese. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread, butter side up.
Grill the sandwiches until golden brown and crispy on both sides, flipping carefully halfway through grilling. Serve immediately.
Fun Fact: Jarlsberg cheese is a mild semi-soft cheese with mellow, nutty flavor. A perfect alternative for those who enjoy Swiss on sandwiches.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 SANDWICH, 308g): 610 calories, 280 calories from fat, 32g total fat, 16g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 115mg cholesterol, 1090mg sodium, 40g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 10g sugars, 37g protein, 16mcg folate, 4mg vitamin C, 3mg iron.
Also try these other corned beef recipes: