- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10 ounces uncooked penne pasta
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- ¾ cup fat-free half-and-half
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Preheat skillet to medium-high heat. Add 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter. Once melted, add chicken pieces, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook about 12 minutes, until golden brown. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium, add the remaining olive oil. Add onions and cook until translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and cook another minute.
Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, uncooked pasta, red pepper flakes, and cooked chicken pieces. Stir and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
Stir in half-and-half and mozzarella cheese.
Remove from heat and let stand about 10 minutes, until sauce thickens.
If you think this use of pasta is delicious, check out our other pasta recipes!