- 1 ¼- 1 ½ cups sugar (depending on tartness of rhubarb)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest, divided
- 5 cups rhubarb (cut in ½-inch slices)
- 1 (15 oz.) can mandarin oranges, drained*
- 4 cups (1-inch) bread cubes, divided
- ½ cup melted unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup sweetened flaked coconut
- * 2 oranges peeled, sectioned and diced may be substituted
Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray with non-stick cooking spray a 9 – 10-inch baking dish.
In large bowl, using a spoon combine sugar, flour, salt and 1/2 teaspoon orange zest. Mix in rhubarb and oranges. Add 2 cups bread cubes and ¼ cup melted butter; mix lightly. Place in baking dish.
Combine remaining bread cubes, melted butter, orange zest and coconut. Sprinkle over rhubarb.
Place dish on baking sheet. Bake 40-45 minutes or until lightly golden brown and rhubarb is tender, the topping is crisp, and the juices are bubbling. If top is browning too quickly, tent with foil the last few minutes.
To serve, scoop out with a spoon and serve warm. If desired, serve with freshly whipped cream or with a scoop of ice cream on top. Refrigerate any leftover dessert. Good served warm or cold.
NUTRITION INFORMATON PER SERVING (1 SERVING, 159g): 270 calories,100 calories from fat, 11g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 25mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 42g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 32g sugars, 2 g protein, 24mcg folate, 20mg vitamin C, 1mg iron, 98mg calcium.
Learn more about our farmers and why they love what they do by clicking on our stories tab.