- 4 ½ cups bite-sized cubed day-old bread (Baguette, Tuscan, Sourdough or Italian)
- 3 cups diced ripe tomatoes or small tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cup cubed fresh mozzarella cheese or mozzarella pearls
- 16 whole Spanish, Greek or black olives
- 15 large fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt and freshly ground peppercorns, optional
Preheat oven to 300°F. Place cubed bread on baking sheet and lightly toast 10-12 minutes, stirring occasionally.
In large serving bowl, combine toasted bread, tomatoes, onion, cheese and olives.
Wash, dry and cut basil leaves into strips and add to bread mixture.
Sprinkle vinegar over salad. If desired, season with salt and pepper; mix thoroughly. Serve immediately or refrigerate.
PER SERVING (1 SERVING, 159g): 160 calories, 60 calories from fat, 7g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 20mg cholesterol, 430mg sodium, 15g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 8g protein, 24mcg folate, 12mg vitamin C, 1mg iron.
You might enjoy these other salad recipes.