- 1 ½ cups 100% bran cereal*
- ¾ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- ½ cup boiling water
- ¾ cup low-fat buttermilk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- ½ cup canned pumpkin
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves or ground nutmeg
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a standard-size (2 ½ x 1 ¼-inch) muffin pan with liners or coat with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine cereal, cranberries or raisins and boiling water. Let stand 2 minutes.
Add buttermilk, sugar, egg, pumpkin and oil; mix thoroughly.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, cloves or nutmeg.
Add flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, stirring just until combined. Do not overmix.
Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each three-quarters full.
Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 18 – 20 minutes. The internal temperature should register 200°F – 205°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove muffins to rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.