- 1 package (17.3 ounce) package puff pastry, 2 sheets
- 1 cup halved and sliced fresh strawberries
- 4 tablespoons strawberry preserves
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-4 tablespoons whole milk
- Coarse decorator sugar, optional
Preheat oven to 375 oF. Line a large baking sheet with silicone mat or parchment paper.
Thaw puff pastry as directed on package. Once pliable, unfold each sheet and cut vertically along the fold lines, creating three columns. Then cut in half horizontally to make six rectangles from each sheet, 12 rectangles in total. Arrange six of the rectangles on the prepared baking sheet.
In a medium bowl, gently mix the strawberries and strawberry preserves. Evenly divide the strawberry mixture among the six rectangles, leaving a ½-inch margin along each edge.
Prepare the egg wash in a small bowl by beating together the egg and water. Using a pastry brush, gently brush the exposed ½-inch edges of the pastry with the egg wash.
Take a second rectangle and place on top of the first, pressing down firmly on the edges to seal. Crimp the edges using the tines of a fork. Prick the top of the pastry with the fork to create vent holes.
Brush the top of each pastry with the egg wash.
Bake for 26-30 minutes, until pastries are fully puffed and top are golden brown.
While pastries bake, prepare icing in a second small bowl.
After removing pastries from the oven, allow them to cool 5 minutes. Then drizzle with prepared icing and sprinkle with decorator sugar, if desired. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Try different fruit and preserves combinations for a variety of flavors.
- Hint: Seal the edges well with the egg wash and crimping to prevent filling from flowing out during baking.