- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup peeled, cored, finely chopped apple (about 1 large)
- 1 cup golden or dark raisins
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped, toasted nuts, optional
- 1 tablespoon golden flax seed meal
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray with non-stick spray a 9” x 9” pan.
2. In a pan, combine the buttermilk, apples, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
3. Beat together egg and vanilla and reserve 1 tablespoon for topping. Add remainder to the cooled ingredients.
4. In medium bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, and baking soda; stir into apple mixture along with the nuts.
5. Pour into the prepared pan; brush reserved egg on top and sprinkle on flax seed meal. Bake 25 minutes until tested done with a pick.
Per Serving (1 bar, 44g): 90 calories, 20 calories from fat, 2g fat, 0g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 10mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 16g total carbohydrates, 1g dietary fiber, 7g sugars, 2g protein, 17mcg folate, 1mg vitamin C, 28mg calcium, 1mg iron.
Sugar-Free Fruit Cake Bars