- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
- ½ cup uncooked long-grain white rice, dry
- ½ cup uncooked pearled barley
- 2 beef or chicken bouillon cubes or 2 tablespoons dry bouillon granules
- 4 cups hot water
- ½ cup coarsely grated carrots
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
Add oil to wok or skillet and heat on medium-high. Add grains and sauté 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Dissolve bouillon in hot water and stir into grains; add vegetables. Cover; reduce heat and simmer 25 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally until liquid is absorbed and grains are tender.
Remove from heat, let stand 5 minutes and fluff with fork. Garnish with almonds.
Season with black pepper or herbs. Add other vegetables such as chopped green pepper, red pepper, celery, peas, or broccoli.