- 1 1/2 cups quick oats, uncooked
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cups ripe bananas, mashed (approximately 3 bananas)
- ½ cup (4 ounces) unsweetened applesauce (individual servings of applesauce contain ½ cup)
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup buttermilk (Make your own by adding 2 teaspoons vinegar to measuring cup. Add fat-free milk until liquid reaches ½ cup marker in measuring cup)
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a muffin pan(s) with 18 paper liners.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
In another large mixing bowl, mix mashed bananas, applesauce, brown sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla until combined.
Add dry ingredients alternatively with buttermilk until dry ingredients are moist.
Stir in mini-chocolate chips until just combined.
Divide the batter among the muffin cups, filling them most of the way.
Bake until the muffins are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 22-25 minutes. Let the muffins cool 5 minutes in the pan, then remove to a rack.
Per Serving (1 muffin): 163 calories, 54 calories from fat, 6g fat, 2g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 21mg cholesterol, 167mg sodium, 28g total carbohydrates, 2g dietary fiber, 14g sugars, 3g protein, 115mg Potassium.
Learn more about farmers that grow wheat.