- 1/2 cup dry, uncooked hot wheat cereal (examples: Cream of Wheat or Malt-o-Meal cooking hot wheat cereal)
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line muffin cups with paper baking cups or coat bottom of muffin cups with nonstick cooking spray.
In a medium bowl, mix together cereal, whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and thyme leaves.
In a small bowl, mix together milk, oil and eggs. Add milk mixture and cheese to dry ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Fill the muffin cups three-fourths full (an ice cream scoop works well). Bake 18-20 minutes. Cool 2-3 minutes. Remove muffins from pan; cool on rack.
One muffin provides approximately:
197 calories, 7 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 10 g fat (4 g saturated), 34 mg cholesterol, 1 g fiber, 42 mcg folate, 3 mg iron, 279 mg sodium.