- 8 ounces whole wheat penne pasta, cooked
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 99% fat-free chicken broth
- 1 cup whole milk
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 8 slices (about 2 ounces) precooked bacon, divided
- 2 tablespoons diced jalapeño peppers, canned
- 1 (12.5 ounce) can chicken, drained
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 12 slices jalapeño peppers, canned
Cook pasta according to package instructions.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 13×9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
Melt butter in a large nonstick pan. Sauté onion and garlic in melted butter 2 minutes.
Whisk in flour and cook 1 minute.
Slowly add broth and milk; whisk until smooth.
Add cream cheese and continue whisking until melted.
Remove pan from heat and stir in Monterey jack cheese.
Chop 6 slices of bacon into bite-sized pieces. Stir in bacon pieces, diced jalapeño, chicken, and pasta.
Transfer to prepared baking dish. Top with cheddar cheese, jalapeño slices, and remaining 2 slices of bacon, chopped into bite-sized pieces.
Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
- You can substitute fresh jalapeños in this recipe. Wear disposable gloves to protect hands from burning pepper oils and wash hands thoroughly.
- Adjust the heat of this dish by increasing or reducing the amount of jalapeño.
- Use cooked, shredded chicken in place of canned if you choose.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 SERVING, 301g): 510 calories, 240 calories from fat, 26g total fat, 14g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 100mg cholesterol, 1520mg sodium, 39g total carbohydrate, 4g dietary fiber, 6g sugars, 31g protein, 11mcg folate, 1mg vitamin C, 2mg iron.
Also try this Cheesy Smoked Sausage Pasta or our Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole.