- 1 (9-inch) pie crust, baked (or, make your own with Mom's Favorite Pie Crust recipe)
- ¾ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 5 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 ½ cups milk (2% or whole)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ cup golden brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 400°F. In medium bowl, using a fork or pastry blender, cut confectioners’ sugar into peanut butter until crumbly. Sprinkle into baked pie crust.
In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, egg yolks and milk. Cook over medium heat until thick pudding consistency, stirring frequently with whisk. Stir in butter and vanilla. Pour hot pudding into pie crust.
In bowl of mixer fitted with whisk, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed about 1 minute then increase speed for 3 – 4 minutes until soft peaks form. While on high speed add brown sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, and salt; beat until glossy stiff peaks form. Pour over hot filling. Spread to the edges to seal. Use back of the spoon to form decorative peaks.
Bake 6 – 10 minutes or until meringue is a delicate brown on top. Let cool on wire rack. This pie is best on the day it is made, and should be refrigerated after serving.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 SLICE, 195g): 480 calories, 190 calories from fat, 21g total fat, 7g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 130mg cholesterol, 280mg sodium, 63g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 45g sugars, 12g protein, 35mcg folate, 0mg vitamin C, 1mg iron.
Check out these other delicious pie recipes.