- 6 - 7 medium unpeeled tomatoes, ½” slices (about 20 slices)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 (9-inch) deep-dish pie crust, homemade or ready-made
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup diced pre-cooked bacon
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Shredded mozzarella cheese, garnish
Slice tomatoes, place in a colander and lightly sprinkle with salt to pull out juice; let drain. After a few minutes, place tomatoes on a paper towel and set aside.
Preheat oven and pre-bake pie crust according to instructions, making sure to prick bottom and sides with fork. Remove crust from oven and immediately sprinkle ¾ cup mozzarella cheese on bottom of crust.
Layer tomatoes over the cheese.
In a medium bowl, stir together remaining cheese, basil, green onions, bacon, garlic, black pepper, mayonnaise, and Parmesan cheese. Spread mixture evenly over the top of the tomatoes.
Place pie on a baking sheet and bake at 375°F for 30-35 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned. If desired, remove pie the last 5 minutes and sprinkle with additional mozzarella cheese and return to oven. Serve warm or cold for breakfast, brunch or as a side.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 SLICE, 231g): 490 calories, 330 calories from fat, 37g total fat, 12g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 60mg cholesterol, 1,080mg sodium, 18g total carbohydrate, 2g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 22g protein, 21mcg folate, 23mg vitamin C, 2mg iron.
Looking for more savory recipes? Check out: