- 1 (7-ounce) package elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 (8-ounce) package shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- Cayenne pepper (optional)
1. In large saucepan, cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
2. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened.
3. Stir in cheese until melted.
4. Drain macaroni; add cheese sauce and stir to coat. If desired, sprinkle with cayenne pepper.