- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice or white vinegar
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar or sparkling white sugar
- ½ cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- ¼ cup chopped pecans, optional
Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 13 x 9-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
Mix together milk and lemon juice; set aside.
Grate the zucchini(s) and measure.
In a medium bowl, whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together the sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla.
Gradually add the milk and lemon juice, scraping the side of bowl.
Stir the flour mixture into the wet mixture just until combined.
Stir in zucchini; mix well. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
Add topping: sprinkle on sugar, chocolate chips and pecans. Bake the cake for 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or instant read thermometer reads 205°F – 210°F.
Cool cake on wire rack.
If desired, serve with whipped topping or ice cream.
NUTRITION INFORMATION PER SERVING (1 slice, 88g): 280 calories, 11g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 25mg cholesterol, 180mg sodium, 43g total carbohydrate, 3g dietary fiber, 2g sugars, 4g protein, 26mcg folate, 3mg vitamin C, 2mg iron.
This yummy cake is a great option for a dessert, breakfast, or tasty afternoon snack. For more recipes like this, including Overnight Coffeecake, Hazelnut French Toast Rollups, or Cinnamon Sugar Biscuit Bites, check out our website eatwheat.org!