- 1 pound lean ground beef or Italian pork sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 Tablespoon diced fresh garlic
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cans water
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale or cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup frozen green beans, thawed
- 1 cup dry small pasta, macaroni, ditalini, or your choice
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Brown beef or Italian sausage in large heavy stockpot; drain. Add onion, celery and garlic; sauté.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, water, bouillon, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
Add kale or cabbage, carrot, green beans, and pasta. Cook until pasta and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
If you prefer a thinner soup, add additional water or broth. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese just before serving.
(1 cup; 250g): 140 calories, 20 calories from fat, 2g total fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 20mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 18g carbohydrates, 4g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 11g protein, 21mg vitamin C, 62mg calcium, 2mg iron.
Want more quick and easy dinner recipes? We’ve got you covered!
- Layered Taco Casserole
- Italian Crescent Casserole
- Garlic & Parmesan Buttered Spaghetti
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Quesadillas
Or would you like to meet a farmer? Be sure and watch Justin Knopf, a wheat farmer from Kansas. If you’re looking for more great recipes be sure and check out our friends at the Home Baking Association!