- 1 pound lean ground beef or Italian pork sausage
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 Tablespoon diced fresh garlic
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can kidney beans, undrained
- 2 cans water
- 2 cubes beef bouillon
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped fresh kale or cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup frozen green beans, thawed
- 1 cup dry small pasta, macaroni, ditalini, or your choice
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
Brown beef or Italian sausage in large heavy stockpot; drain. Add onion, celery and garlic; sauté.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, kidney beans, water, bouillon, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Bring to a boil.
Add kale or cabbage, carrot, green beans, and pasta. Cook until pasta and vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
If you prefer a thinner soup, add additional water or broth. If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese just before serving.
(1 cup; 250g): 140 calories, 20 calories from fat, 2g total fat, 0.5 g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 20mg cholesterol, 540mg sodium, 18g carbohydrates, 4g dietary fiber, 4g sugars, 11g protein, 21mg vitamin C, 62mg calcium, 2mg iron.